Narrated Hz Abu Hurairah (RA) that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: 
The perfect believer in respect of faith is he who is best of them in manners.
It is impossible to practice Islam if we neglect the importance of good manners. For instance, we cannot be true Muslims if we disregard cleanliness (which is said to be half of one’s faith). Imagine losing out on half of faith just because someone is too lazy to take a bath!
Have we ever wondered what good manners really are?
Well, good manners can be best defined in the following ways;-
- A way of acting; bearing or behavior.
- Practice, style, execution, or method in the arts.
- A person’s outward bearing or way of behaving toward others.
- A way of doing something or the way in which a thing is done or happens.
- The socially correct way of acting; etiquette.
- Social behavior or habits.
- Polite or well-bred social behavior.
All these can be achieved by teaching ourselves the following points:-
- Following in the footsteps and copying the examples of the Messenger of Allah, Muhammad (s), his infallible household (Ahlul Bayt) and the most righteous among his companions. Studying their way of life and considering all aspects of their virtuous behaviour are essential ways of being led on the right path.
- Avoiding people characterized by bad manners and not making them friends, because not mixing with such people removes the danger of being misled and should also discourage their unprincipled behavior.
- Whoever repeatedly does good deeds and behaves in a principled manner, such conduct will undoubtedly become habitual, whereas whoever commits misdeeds and ill-natured vices like hypocrisy, lying, deceiving …etc. will accept them to such an extent that they will not feel their abomination and the damage they cause.
- We should treat our parents with utmost kindness and humility.
- It is a good thought to follow the basics: share smiles with whoever we meet, share our joy and happiness with others and forgive those who commit mistakes.
- We should try to teach the younger ones good manners. The best way to teach is to first practice it ourselves because children tend to mirror the behavioral pattern of adults living around them
- We must learn to pass on good manners and the very best of Adab to our family and friends.
- We should also ask the forgiveness of Allah in case of committing sins or doing evil deeds and should regret and repent for such actions. This can be done through reprimanding ourselves and feeling that such action is bad and should not be repeated.
As believers, we must keep on improving our manners. Only then can we complete our faith and hope to earn the Mercy of our Creator so that we may enter paradise, where we truly belong.